Karen Muro, MD, CEO
- Medical School – University of California Irvine
- Internal Medicine Residency - Kaiser Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- Nephrology Fellowship - University of California Davis
- Board Certified – American Board of Internal Medicine
- Board Certified – American Board of Internal Medicine – Nephrology Subspecialty
- Emory Decatur Hospital
- Emory Hillandale Hospital
- Emory Long Term Acute Care
- Piedmont Rockdale
- Piedmont Newton Hospital
Dr. Muro grew up in New England and attended college and received medical training at the University of California at Irvine and at Davis. She joined Georgia Nephrology in 1993 and found Atlanta to be the perfect place to practice medicine and raise a family. Since 1993, she has served Georgia Nephrology as a Managing Partner and became CEO in 2020.
For more than 25 years, Dr. Muro has been active in the Dekalb Medical (now Emory Decatur) Hospital system as a member and chairman of committees including Credentials, Peer Review and Education and served as Chief of the Department of Medicine from 2013-2018.
As a clinical nephrologist, Dr. Muro tries to imagine herself walking in the shoes of her patients. She considers it an honor and privilege to care for those challenged by chronic kidney disease every day.
Although her professional contributions are listed here, Dr Muro believes her role as the mother of three children now grown into accomplished, caring and compassionate adults may be her greatest achievement.